Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chinese Tea....and weed


(Women prepare to weigh tea for sale)

Yesterday morning Philly sports writer Dan Gelston and I walked down the streets of the neighborhood and found a tea house. Three young women greeted us and offered us a sample of their teas. Dan tried green tea and I went for a flower jasmine tea. One of the women asked me what I did and I showed her my business card in Chinese that showed I was a photographer.

(Tea house owner pours more samples)

A man went into the back room and brought out a computer which he used to type a phrase and have it translated into English. He told me he had a digital camera and took photos too. Then he brought out a large format digital Hasselblad camera...maybe worth $10,000 in the US! We chatted some using his translator program, tried more teas, and saw some of his photos. He had some wonderful photos of the Great Wall with the moon rising above it, almost like an Ansel Adams photo. I could have stayed there all day but had work to do.


(Switzerland's Andre Vonarburg removes algae)
I worked at the start line yesterday shooting various heat races and semi finals. One of the interesting things is a start judge announces the boats, then asks if they would like to have their boats checked for weed. Weed is the algae that would hang onto the boat. Then they ask a diver to go under the boat and remove any algae around it.
(Diver checks boat for algae)


(Oars churn the water at the start of the women's eight w/coxswain race)

No comments: