Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rainy Day


(Chuck at Start line)


(USA Women rowers laugh before race)

The forecast for the next couple of days is for rain...and it did yesterday! I shot photos from the start line and load my photos into a laptop and send to the editor (Bertrand) to edit and send.


(Spectators protect themselves from the rain)


Near the end of the scheduled races, a thunderstorm came up quickly and caused a stoppage for the day. Volunteers loaded us into an open air truck and drove us back to the press room but we got soaked. The walkway around the press area filled with water. Some young volunteers made paper boats and tried to float them down the walkway.
(Young volunteers play in the rain water)

After returning to the hotel, we made our way to a familiar restaurant, "Taste of Heaven", and had Peking Duck (again) and several other dishes. I almost made a serious mistake. There was NO english on the menu, just photos, and we had a great tofu dish there before so I looked for the photo and pointed to what I thought was the right one. A woman came running up shaking her finger. She opened an English phrase book and pointed to.......INTESTINES!!! So...I almost order Chinese Chitlins! Also, since we can only drink bottled water, we usually have beer...Yanjing Beer...in 650ml bottles. Big bottles and they serve it with tiny glasses.
(From left, writer Dan Gelston with, Kevork, Kirsty, Greg, Chuck, and Bertrand on media bus)


(Empty bottles of Yanjing beer)

Forecast today, more rain and storms.

No comments: