Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Making Beijing Home
















(My Room in Media Village)

First day in Beijing was a busy one. First I took the media bus to the Main Press Center which is the center of the AP's operation. There, I was given a new cell phone and a debit card with expense money and had technicians set up my laptop for use at the rowing venue. I only spent one night in the Media Village but the room was very nice. The set up there is like past Olympics, one common area shared by two-three private rooms and a shared bath. The rooms are spartan but we don't spend much time in them. I met the editor and other photographers sharing the rowing/kayak duties with me and we eventually took a taxi to the Shun Yi hotel in NE Beijing, which will be our home until Aug. 25. The smog is really bad and you can smell the thickness in the air. We had a nice dinner near the hotel...Korean Bar-B-Que. Not like they make it in North Carolina but a very good meal.

(View from Media Village room)

1 comment:

SBURTON said...

Hey man--Looks like you had an interesting beginning to that trip (30 hours?) Yikes. Probably dont want to breathe too much of that air either. From that pic, Beijing looks like the Hong Kong scenes from the beginning of Enter the Dragon..Cant wait to hear about the street vendor food. (Amanda Beard)..Later- Scott